Coalinga-Huron Library District Collections
In January of 1905 the "Coalinga Women's Improvement Club" was formed. They started a reading room for the community. The ladies felt that the men needed a place to improve their minds (Most of the men were oil workers, roustabouts and well pullers). The reading room housed books on loan from the Fresno County Library. The reading room was housed in an ice cream parlor, a Doctor's office, the fire station, the opera house and 17 businesses in all. In 1912 members of the Coalinga library committee attended the Fresno Co. Board of Supervisors meeting and requested that Coalinga be allowed to withdraw from the County System and establish their own library district. Permission was given and on June 24, 1912 an election was held. With a vote of 526 to 1 the formation of the Coalinga Union School District Library District was born. It has the same boundaries as the School District and would have the same Board of Trustees. A lot at the corner of 4th and D streets was purchased. This has been the location of all future Coalinga library buildings. In September 1913 plans were submitted to the Carnegie Foundation. The foundation gave the money to build a Carnegie library. On October 29, 1914 the "New Carnegie Library" was formally opened. In 1950 a branch library was opened in the City of Huron in a small school building that was moved from Coalinga to Huron. In 1954 a new library building was started for Coalinga. In September 1955 the Coalinga Library was opened for the residents of Coalinga. In 1970 a new 2354 sq. ft. branch library was built and furnished for the community of Huron. In May 1994 a new adult services area was completed.
- Coalinga-Huron District Library
- Coalinga-Huron Library District Collections