County Orphanage, Fresno, California

Dublin Core

Title

County Orphanage, Fresno, California

Description

County Orphanage, Fresno, circa 1910. Color lithographic postcard published by Edward H. Mitchell of San Francisco, a large-scale postcard manufacturer. The building was situated at 3928 E. Ventura Avenue, between Ninth and Tenth streets. The orphanage was established in 1897, when Fresno County bought the home of George A. Nourse and converted it into an orphanage. The building was badly damaged in a 1908 fire and was subsequently restored. The Orphanage closed in 1918, when the Fresno County Welfare Department was formed and the children under its care were placed in foster homes. The building subsequently functioned as the county Old People’s Home, and was decommissioned circa 1940. In the mid-1950s, the County replaced the building with its juvenile hall campus, which was in turn replaced and vacated in 2006.

Publisher

Edw. H. Mitchell - San Francisco, California

Date

ca. 1910

Rights

Copyright status unknown. This work may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, its reproduction may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. This work is accessible for purposes of education and research. Transmission or reproduction of works protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

Format

1 postcard : color ; 8.9 x 13.7 cm.

Language

en

Type

Still Image

Identifier

FPC_00143

Files

00143.1-Fresno-Orphanage.jpg
00143.2-Fresno-Orphanage.jpg

Citation

“County Orphanage, Fresno, California,” San Joaquin Valley Library System Digital Collections, accessed July 14, 2020, http://digital.sjvls.org/document/10449.

Output Formats