Anchor Stage Depot
Anchor Stage Depot
Anchor [Auto] Stage Depot, located at 715 J (Fulton) Street (northwest corner of Fulton and Mono streets), Fresno, circa 1925. Real photo postcard by unknown manufacturer, with Azo stamp on verso indicating manufacture between 1918-1930. Anchor Stage Lines was created in December 1915, when several local auto stage (bus) lines consolidated under one roof and the common building was erected. The companies first operated out of a single small depot, but constructed a permanent “union depot” home at Fulton and Mono and occupied it in October 1920. This was later described (Fresno Bee, August 18, 1965) as “Fresno’s first real bus depot.” The National Taxicab and Motorbus Journal (December 1922) said of Anchor: “At the present time over 2,000 people are carried daily on the stages of the company. Of this number, over 1,000 leave the Fresno union depot daily. This extensive system serves 65 cities and towns, operating 100 motor stages, 75 of which operate from the Fresno terminal. These stages average 200 miles a day, making a total distance of 200,000 car miles a day.” By the 1930s, the depot was eclipsed by the rise of the private automobile and the pressure of competitors, notably Greyhound.
Between 1918 and 1925
Copyright status unknown. This work may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, its reproduction may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. This work is accessible for purposes of education and research. Transmission or reproduction of works protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
1 postcard : b&w ; 8.9 x 14 cm.
“Anchor Stage Depot,” San Joaquin Valley Library System Digital Collections, accessed July 14, 2020, http://digital.sjvls.org/document/10451.