Fresno Street east from J Street 1920 Fresno California

Dublin Core

Title

Fresno Street east from J Street 1920 Fresno California

Subject

Barton, Robert, 1838-1891.; Cory, Lewis Lincoln, 1861-1929.; Streets -- California -- Fresno County -- 20th century -- Photographs.; Theaters -- California -- Fresno County -- 19th century -- Photographs; Fresno (Calif.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- 19th century -- Photographs.; Fresno (Calif.) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century -- Photographs.

Description

Fresno Street in 1920 looking east from the corner of J (now Fulton Street) and Fresno streets. The Hippodrome Theater is seen on the left side of the street. The Hippodrome was originally the Barton Opera House, opened on September 29, 1890 by vineyardist Robert Barton. Performances included variety, melodrama troupes and beginning in 1901, vaudeville. Mr. Lewis L. Cory bought the Barton Opera House in 1909 and renamed it the Theater Fresno. Over the years the Barton was known as the Hippodrome, the State, the Esquire, the Sequoia and Towne Cinema theaters.

Source

1 Photographic print (postcard) :b&w ;9 x 14 cm.

Publisher

San Joaquin Valley Library System

Date

1920

Contributor

Fresno County Public Library

Rights

This image is being made available for educational and research purposes only, under the "fair use" clause of the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) Further questions regarding the image or its use may be directed to the Fresno County Public Library, Heritage Center, 2420 Mariposa St, Fresno, CA 93721. Phone: 559-600-6230 HeritageCenter@fresnolibrary.org

Relation

SJV Photo Heritage

Format

image/jpeg

Language

en

Type

Image

Identifier

frp0142

Coverage

1920

Files

frp0142a.jpg

Citation

“Fresno Street east from J Street 1920 Fresno California,” San Joaquin Valley Library System Digital Collections, accessed May 18, 2024, http://digital.sjvls.org/document/1789.

Output Formats