Converse, Charles P.; Friant, Thomas.; Friant (Calif.) -- Aerial view.; Friant (Calif.) -- Description and travel.
Undated, aerial view of Friant, California located below Friant Dam at Millerton Lake. The town had its start as a ferry crossing on the San Joaquin River. In November 1856, the second license ever issued in Fresno County for operation of a ferry was granted to C.P. Converse and the location was called Converse Ferry. Over time the town was called Hamptonville and Pollasky. After 1907 the location was called Friant after Thomas Friant, co-owner of a local lumber company.
1 Photographic print :b&w ;9 x 14 cm.
San Joaquin Valley Library System
Fresno County Public Library
This image is being made available for educational and research purposes only, under the "fair use" clause of the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) Further questions regarding the image or its use may be directed to the Fresno County Public Library, Heritage Center, 2420 Mariposa St, Fresno, CA 93721. Phone: 559-600-6230 HeritageCenter@fresnolibrary.org
SJV Photo Heritage
“Friant California,” San Joaquin Valley Library System Digital Collections, accessed June 6, 2023, http://digital.sjvls.org/document/1805.